Thursday, April 15, 2010

First Blog Post - Neck Point Pileated Woodpeckers


Hi there,
I'm leaving the house a bit late today. It is off to Neck Point again and possibly Buttertubs Marsh to try to catch some of the new spring arrivals. I will post again if there are any favorable results.

Back home again at 4:30PM. Not much shaking at Neck Point today. I went to check on the Pileated Woodpecker's nest. The other day there was an entire class of students and their teacher playing a game of hide and seek directly under the tree that the nest is in. I realize that it's a public park but I feared for the worst as regards the Pileats sticking around after all the noise and commotion. Much to my relief the female stuck her head out to check me out while I was setting up my tripod. The picture to the left is actually the male Pileated Woodpecker. It was taken over a week ago. Can't wait until the young arrive and I can get some shots of the feeding frenzie.

Lots of the other usual types of birds around like Brown Tree Creepers, Starlings, Robins, and the odd Downy and Hairy Woodpecker as well. No exotics yet like the Black Headed Grosbeak or Western Tanager. Guess we won't start seeing them in any number until May.

No comments:

Post a Comment