Wednesday, April 21, 2010

First Barred Owl of the spring season


Today I managed to get an image of a Barred Owl in Linley Valley here in Nanaimo. I knew he was there right away when I entered the woods due to the smaller birds such as Robins and Humming Birds making a commotion. I had to ford that little stream in the alder grove to get to where all the action was. Smaller birds such as woodpeckers, robins, and tanagers find the owl quite a threat especially around nesting time and you can often find one from several hundred feet away when the mobbing starts. It can take a bit of practice but after a while you get to know the difference between these sounds and just territorial chirping and song.

Guess I should appologize for the poor photo. I didn't have time to re-compose the shot before he flushed. I had my teleconverter on my lens so all that fit in the picture was his head and shoulders. Nice to know that they are still around and that the season for finding them easier is upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment