Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thornton Creek Bears


Hi,
I decided to make a small change today. Instead of calling this blog a "Birding Blog", I have decided to make it into a "Wildlife Blog". This way more people can benefit from some of my animal photos as well.

Yesterday I went with my family to Thornton Creek on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Here we visited the Black Bears that were fishing near the mouth of the creek for the incoming runs of salmon. Lots of fish in the river and of course a few bears around as well. There were three large bears there when we arrived and a couple of times I had to reposition myself in order to maintain a safe distance from them.

Thornton creek is a must see at this time of year for anyone out there who is a Bear lover. However, I would exercise extreme caution in situations like that which involve wild animals. On one occasion I had to retreat to the safety of my car and leave my camera gear behind. In my opinion, not the place to take small children.

One last thing. You won't need a big lens to catch the action at Thornton Creek. I took my 500mm - Big Mistake! Even 300mm is overkill as the bears are usually less than 50 feet away.

Take care until my next entry.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment