Monday, June 28, 2010

Great Horned Owl at Neck Point


Friday was one of those weird nights where you just happen to be in the right place at the right time. When I pulled into the Neck Point parking lot I knew that I was in for some owl shooting by all of the commotion that the Robins were making. Just off of the parking lot by a couple of hundred feet was a Great Horned Owl. I got my camera gear ready and headed over to the tree where all of the noise was coming from. Sure enough there he was with an added suprise. He had a freshly killed rabbit in his talons.

I have photographed the Owls at Neck Point for years but had never seen one with any prey. This was my lucky night. I was kind of excited and needed to hurry because my light was running out. The owl kept on changing perches and moving from one tree to another. I think he must have thought that I was after his dinner. At first I thought that the animal it had caught was someone's cat because of the distinct black and white tuxedo type markings but later I could see that it was one of the local farrow rabbits that inhabit the park. The Owl finally came to rest on a large fir tree branch about 50 feet up on the side of the hill. It paused there for several minutes while a flock of crows attacked it and that is when I got the shot that is pictured here. Not a bad clarity for a 1/2 second exposure at around 9:00pm in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment